Winter sports are just around the corner, and this year children, parents, adult players and coaches alike are all hoping for a full, uninterrupted sports season! Any players of contact sports should wear a mouthguard to protect against mouth injuries and oral trauma, including cuts, bruises, fractures, broken or dislocated teeth. Mouthguards can be purchased over the counter or be custom-made by your Dentist. Although there is an additional initial cost involved, there are several benefits of custom-made mouthguards that sports players should consider.
- Custom-made mouthguards are easier and more comfortable to wear than over-the-counter mouthguards because they are exactly fitted to your jaws, teeth and mouth. Created using an impression of your teeth, the mouthguard will fit you perfectly so you do not have to keep your mouth closed to keep the guard in place. This is naturally more comfortable to wear and breathe around even during very strenuous exercise. And because they are more comfortable to wear, they will not distract you from focusing on the game.
- Custom-made mouthguards are designed to provide maximum protection for your mouth. Your mouth, teeth and gums are unique and therefore a generic mouthguard simply cannot provide the same level of protection. They will also accommodate and protect any appliances you have in your mouth, such as the brackets and wires of braces, retainers or implant-supported dentures which can break and cause injury during an impact. Research has also shown that a quality custom-designed mouthguard can help to buffer the effects of concussion by separating the lower jaw and the upper jaw during impact, which is great news for sports players.
- Another benefit of custom-made mouthguards is the ability to tailor the thickness to your specific needs. Generic mouthguards are one-thickness-fits-all, while your Dentist will consider which level of thickness is appropriate for you and the sports you play. For example, boxers will need mouthguards that are much thicker than a tennis player. This ensures you have the right amount of thickness and therefore protection for your specific sport.
- Custom-made mouthguards can be a great long-term investment. Over-the-counter mouthguards wear out quickly because they are not specifically designed for you. This means they wear unevenly and need to be replaced regularly. Also, because they provide limited protection, you still run the risk of incurring oral injuries from an impact to the face and requiring dental care. As is the case with most dentistry, prevention is much better than cure and investing in a custom-made mouthguard can definitely save you in the long run.
- You can have some fun with your custom mouthguard by choosing your favourite colour, combination of colours, or even embed stickers, your name or team name into it! There are so many ways to personalise it and an added incentive to remember to wear it.
Please contact us to find out more about custom-made mouthguards for you or your child.