One of the questions we are often asked is about eating guidelines for braces. When you are wearing braces you can eat and enjoy most foods without damaging your appliances. However, there are some foods that we recommend avoiding to reduce the risk of any damage.
Eating Recommendations For Orthodontic Patients
Avoid Hard Foods
- Corn chips
- Hard lollies
- Pizza Crust
- Hard biscuits
Hard foods will break brackets, damage wires and loosen the cement under the brackets and bands.
Avoid Sticky Foods
- Chewing gum
- Dried fruit
- Chewy lollies
- Sticky muesli bars
Sticky foods can damage orthodontic appliances by bending wires and pulling brackets or bands loose.
Brush And Rinse After Sweets
- Ice cream
- Cakes and cupcakes
- Soft drinks
- Fruit juice
- Sugary cereals
If you eat foods which are high in sugar, always brush your teeth afterwards. If you are unable to brush, rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
Eat With Care Foods
- Carrot sticks – cut into curls
- Apples – slice into thin wedges
- Hard breads – take small bites and chew carefully
- Meats – take small bites and chew carefully
- Crackers – take small bites and chew carefully
- Peanut butter – “smooth” only, no crunchy