Did you know that dental implants are an innovative alternative to dentures?
Even if you take great care of your teeth and gums, it’s still possible that you may need dentures eventually. While good brushing and flossing routines combined with regular dental visits will certainly help to keep your mouth as healthy as possible, teeth can still wear out to the point where dentures are required. This is exacerbated by the fact that we are all living longer than previously, as well as a multitude of additional contributing factors such as genetics, health conditions like diabetes and even a lack of saliva from medicines or diseases. If you are at the stage of needing dentures, or already wear them, it’s important to know that they are not your only option.
Problems With Dentures
If you are a denture wearer or are considering getting dentures, do you have concerns about:
- The potential embarrassment of loose-fitting dentures slipping when eating, talking, laughing or coughing?
- Not being able to eat the foods you love?
- Irritated and even painful gums?
- Eating with confidence in public dining occasions?
- How unnatural it feels to wear a plate?
- Taking your dentures out every night?
- The ongoing cost of having to replace them regularly when they wear down?
- How to keep your smile white and bright when dentures are more prone to staining than natural teeth?
- The stigma of having dentures?
If this sounds like you, then dental implants could be the answer. Dental implants are an alternative restoration solution using the latest advanced technology.
What Are Dental Implants?
As a modern alternative to dentures, “New Teeth On 4” is a full-mouth teeth replacement procedure, securing a full set of teeth to four dental implants in your jaw. It is an ideal solution for people who can no longer manage their dentures or for those who need to have all of their teeth removed and dread the thought of wearing dentures.
The New Teeth On 4 procedure is so advanced that if you need to have your teeth removed then this can be done on the same day as having your new implanted teeth placed and fixed. This means you never have to go without teeth!
Dental implants have many benefits, including:
- Stable, fully-fixed teeth that look and feel just like natural teeth.
- They are much more comfortable and easy to adapt to compared to dentures.
- You can eat anything, so there is no need to modify your diet or avoid foods you love.
- Having full confidence in public and especially social/dining occasions.
- Easy to maintain with good home oral hygiene and an annual dental appointment just like natural teeth – no additional cleaning or soaking required.
- A preserved jawbone as the implants replace some of the tooth roots and integrate with it. This helps to maintain great facial aesthetics, whereas with dentures the jawbone can deteriorate over time and lead to a smile that looks ‘collapsed’.
- More cost-effective in the long run. This is because dental implants are a long-term solution, lasting for many years with good care.
McIntosh Dental were early adopters of the New Teeth On 4 advanced dental implant technology. Dr Alex McIntosh is one of the most experienced dental implant surgeons in New Zealand with over 35 years’ experience in placing dental implants, including being one of the first people to perform the New Teeth On 4 procedure. He has changed the lives of more than 100 patients with this procedure in recent years. He is also called upon to rectify cases which have been performed overseas where people are unhappy with the result or it has not been successful.