Most of us would love to have a white, bright smile all of the time. But with lifestyle factors like coffee, tea and red wine being some of the biggest culprits for staining your teeth, it can be an ongoing battle to keep your teeth white. Effective teeth whitening is in huge demand and there is a wide choice of products and processes available. So how long does teeth whitening last for?
It’s important to understand that teeth whitening treatments reduce stains – they do not repel them. This means that no teeth whitening process lasts permanently. And while teeth staining can be quite dependent on your lifestyle, you can expect better quality treatments to last for longer.
- In-clinic teeth whitening: with good oral hygiene, your investment in in-clinic teeth whitening should provide you with results that last for at least one year and can last up to three years.
- At-home whitening trays: used under the supervision of your dentist, these provide effective results that should last for at least one year or longer.
- Whitening pens: these provide minimal results that do not last for more than a few weeks.
- Whitening strips: although popular, these run the very real risk of being harmful to your teeth as they contain peroxide. Results typically last for up to six months.
- Whitening mouthwash: this is usually only effective when used to prolong the effects of other whitening treatments. Used on its own, it can take up to three months to see any results and these are typically very subtle and not long-lasting.
- Whitening toothpaste: usually effective only on light external stains, it can take up to six weeks to see any results and they can last for around three to four months. But be cautious as many whitening toothpastes contain abrasives that are not meant for long-term use and can thin tooth enamel.
Unfortunately, over-the-counter products weaken teeth and can make them more prone to staining, while our professional tooth whitening system actually strengthens teeth as well as whitening them. Please contact us if you are interested in finding out more about our professional teeth whitening treatments.